Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A (Crazy) Interview with Tim Knol & Matthijs


Sam's leaving on a midnight train
Holes in his shoes
Holes in his brain
Holes in his pocket where the money goes through
What an excuse to leave a one way ticket too

Sam's leaving town, Sam's leaving town
Sam's leaving town, Sam's leaving town
He lost control

He tried to live his own rock and roll
But after many years he lost his self control
Every band rehearsed a tune out into a big fight
Now be smart Sam, turn on your light

Sam's leaving town, Sam's leaving town
He lost control

That’s the lyrics of Tim Knol’s song, "Sam". I love the song very much since I listened to it for the very first time last Thursday. I think the song is actually simple but truly epic! Tim Knol himself told me that he made the song for his friend who's addicted to alcohol. He wanted to advise him but unfortunately his friend didn't listen to it.

Anyways, do you guys know Tim Knol? To be frank, I happened to just know him last week. He is a musician from Holland that came to Indonesia for doing his tour. This week, he visited Magelang and even had a concert at Prambanan Convention Hall, Puri Asri Hotel, Magelang. You’ve gotta know that this concert was conducted in order to celebrate the anniversary of Magelang this month.

Lucky me to have an opportunity to meet him and his band. Last Tuesday, I was invited to represent my radio station to have lunch with them and join their press conference afterwards. When I met Tim for the first time, I know that he’s really kind and affable. I had a short conversation and interview with him. I also met Matthijs, one of the members of Tim’s band. He really is humorous and, what to say, cranky I must say!

After having lunch, they dropped by at my radio station, Radio Polaris FM, before they go to Jogja. It was nice cuz Popo Kusen and I were asked to interview Tim and Matthijs for an hour. You know, the interview went pretty crazy! I enjoyed it very much.

Tim and I are actually at the same age, yet I am really impressed by the way he loves and thinks of music. Starting to make music at the age of 10 and he’s had two albums. He honestly told us that he likes old stuff because he wanted to have a “music adventure”. Guess what, one of the Indonesian Bands that he likes is Koes Plus. Before going to Magelang, he already had a performance collaborating with Yon Koeswoyo in Jakarta.

During the interview, we laughed a lot. They are not only good at music, but they are also good at joking. I mean, they’re really humorous that they often randomly threw jokes. Matthijs was the craziest guy over there. His sense of humor is terribly cool! Surprisingly, he spoke Indonesian pretty often, like: “Selamat Siang”, “Paling Jempol”, “Kasian Deh Lu”, “Ayo Joget” and other super funny Indonesian sayings. Not to mention, he told us that he once eat torpedo in Jogja and he liked it very much. Ha! Pretty nuts, don’t you think?! 

O yea, last Thursday night I also came to the concert of Tim Knol and yea, I think I would regret it if I wasn’t coming. As the head of the commitee of this event said, Tim Knol always play good music with all his heart and it goes naturally. Yea, I must say he really does! The concert went well and it’s entertaining.


If you wanna know more about Tim Knol, you can check out his twitter account @timknol. He even has a facebook account especially for his Indonesian fans. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/tim.knol.indonesia

Chiao, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment