Friday, August 26, 2011

Sometimes, Money Can Buy Happiness

"Why is everybody so obsessed? Money can't buy happiness."

Have you ever heard that lyrics? Yea, that's Jessie J's song, Price Tag. I love that song. The song is just about the people that worship money. Well, at least something like that. At first, I agree with the statement that money cannot buy happiness but here I come to one part of my life that has proven me wrong. Money exactly can buy happiness, sometimes. Let me argue :)

I am on the fifth semester of an undergraduate program in a private university in Magelang. I finance the tuition by myself and I work for that. To be frank, it's never easy to do both, to think about both, and to get both staying on the right track. Every time the pay day comes, I get dizzy. Hahaha, normally. I just always didn't have enough money to pay that, so I had to ask for a dispensation until I find that it magically turns into some millions rupiah. Oh my, I should ask for other dispensations over and over again. That was happening during 4 semesters. And you know, I'm famous as a dispensation princess :/ too bad.

Until, today, literally. I found that there's no space again for me to ask for dispensation. Just so you know, the university is still on process to be a state university, so there are many changes that will be compulsory firmly. One of the changes is about the dispensation. Many students, including me, are surprised about this decision. We are not allowed to ask for dispensation more than the tuition of a half semester, whereas, I still have about three millions rupiah that I haven't paid yet. Then, if I wanna continue my study, I must pay that fucking three millions rupiah. It gets me completely confused. Many of my friends feel the same.

In this case, I can't entirely blame the university. I honestly feel that actually, I should blame myself for being irresponsible about the tuition. And now, I have no clue what to do. I've been thinking how to solve this, but everything is still in blur. Meanwhile, my mind is also bothered by the thought about money.

Don't you frankly think that money, sometimes, can buy happiness? Please be honest. Sorry, I don't agree with you, Jessie J. Well, I must say that hypocrites won't admit my opinion. Yea, money is the only thing that is dominating the world. It's also the number one thing that people obsessed about. Come on, all people in this world are very busy earning money for living. Yet, they sacrifice so many things, such as their time, their family, their energy, their sanity, and even their honesty or to make it simple, they sacrifice everything they have (good and bad things) only to get money. Uhm.. It doesn't mean that I don't agree with the statement: Having so much money can't guarantee we'll always be happy. Don't get me wrong, of course I agree as well. But at least, the can indulge themselves by using the money they have and it will be easier for them to be happy and forget their problems by spending the money. If you say that they can spend it for doing bad things, that depends on them. Are they mature enough to use the money? It's just a matter of maturity.

So... as a girl that doesn't come from a rich family, I do know how it feels to be in trouble because of having no money. This is not the first time. I just need to be mature to see what I've been striving suddenly ends up. Well, that isn't what I want of course, that's just because I have no choice even though I've been looking for the solution. Sorry to say, in this case, I despise money.

Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment